Thursday, October 12, 2006

Ooey Gooey Apple Crisp


The final item I whipped up for our autumnal dinner this past Friday was an apple crisp. I basically kinda mutatedly fused the cinnamon apple crisp recipe and the apple crisp recipe from the PPK with excellent results.

I have yet to purchase a small baking dish/casserole dish (yes, I am cheap, and stupid, and really just need to suck it up and buy one already), so I ended up just baking the crisp in a loaf-pan. But it still came out gooey and cinnamony and caramely and sweet. So apparently size and shape DON'T matter all that much! Baha. Uh yeah. *Straightening out necktie*

INGREDIENTS:

For the apple part:
  • 5-6 apples, sliced in 1/4-inch slices or so

  • 1 T. cornstarch

  • 2 t. cinnamon

  • 1/8 t. nutmeg

  • 1/8 t. allspice

  • 1/16 t. cloves

  • 1/2 c. brown sugar + 1/2 c. water

For the crisp part:
  • 1/2 c. oats

  • 1/2 c. flour

  • 1/2 c. brown sugar

  • 1/4 t. baking powder

  • 1/4 t. cinnamon

  • 1/6 c. canola oil (or 1/2 of a 1/3 measuring cup)

  • 1.5 T. soy milk

  • 1/2 t. vanilla

  • 1/8 t. salt

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to about 375. Mix together everything for the apple part except for the apples. Place the apples in your bread-loaf pan and then drizzle the mixture all over the apples. In a separate bowl, mix together everything for the crisp part. Sprinkle this mixture on top of your apples. Cover with tin foil--bake for 10 minutes. Remove tin foil and bake for another 20-30 minutes. Serve with soy ice cream.

Servings: 6+

12 comments:

Johanna said...

I also tossed some shredded coconut on the top towards the end of baking (with some more oats).

NJenn said...

My 11 year old daughter and I made this apple crisp and we absolutely loved it. It is amazing! I had enough to take the work the next day and I was licking the bowl.

Lisa said...

This is SO good! I needed a vegan apple recipe without any ingredients that would send me to the store, and this was perfect! YUM!

Anonymous said...

I used this recipe as a guideline and made one easy and scrumptious apple crumble!

Substitutions (due to what's in my pantry): no cornstarch, used a pumpkin spice blend in place of the other spices, unbleached bread flour instead of regular, melted margarine in place of the canola oil, rice milk instead of soy, for the crisp part, I mixed the dry ingredients prior to adding the wet, baked it in an approx. 8"x4" oval tin (it came on the to-go order of a Chipotle salad, hehe), cooked 9 min. w/foil cover and 20 min. without. Even with all of those changes, it still tasted great!!

Anonymous said...

This turned out great! Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Tonya said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I made it with some modifications to make it gluten free and it was delicious!

Hope you don't mind that I'm sharing the gluten free version on my blog. http://glutenfreeintoronto.blogspot.com/2010/10/i-did-it-gluten-free-vegan-apple-crisp.html

Thanks again!

jeffd said...

Hi -

Made this last night and it turned out great. Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Cheers!

indigoseed said...

Delectableness...I did this gluten free wit rice flour and thought I might cry from pure bliss. Thanks

Unknown said...

I made this recently..twice! Thank you!

http://nomsensefoodblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/apple-crisp.html

MJ said...

Wonderfull! Simply wonderful! Minor changes: in order to portion control, I chopped the apples and put them in portion cups (1/4 cup condiment paper cups)so 1/4 cup of apples,1-2 tsp of apples mix, 1 T of the crisp topping and baked at same time as directed.

Veghead Cris said...

I just made this today and it was quick, easy and fabulous! I'll be surprised if it makes it through the night. Great recipe!!!

Anonymous said...

Just made this today. It went perfect with some vanilla Greek yogurt. Definitely will use this recipe again in the future!