Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Vegan Yogurt Banana-Lime Dressing


For lunches for the week, I've been sorta digging on cabbage as of late. Anything and everything coleslaw is what I'm all about. So I decided to try out this banana-inspired coleslaw recipe from the FatFreeVegan recipe database. Sadly, I was a bit disappointed with the slaw itself--I didn't use the precise amounts they have listed here, so that may have had something to do with it. But regardless, I can say that I'm definitely *not* a fan of the melon-cabbage combination. According to my tastebuds, the flavors clash quite a bit. And my tastebuds are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to what they do/don't like.

However, the yogurt-banana-lime dressing is out of this world and would make a delightful way to spice up any fruit salad. So I'm leaving out the cabbage-melon slaw recipe itself (you can track that down through the links if you so choose) and just including the recipe for the dressing instead. It's banana-y. It's tofu-y (but doesn't taste it) which means it's a good shot of protein. It has a bit of lime-y zing. And it's creamy and delish. Definitely worth checking out.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 c. silken soft tofu

  • 1 ripe banana, peeled

  • 1-2 t. grated lime zest

  • 3 T. fresh lime juice

  • 2 T. brown rice syrup or other vegan sweetener

  • 1 t. salt

  • 1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS

Toss everything into a food processor and process until smooth. Refrigerate until chilled. Top off your favorite fruit salad with a little. (I'd dribble it on right before serving rather than mixing it in with the fruit and letting it sit in the fridge--if you do the latter, the juices from the fruit leach out all over the place, and the dressing ends up getting watered down.)

I also think this would be tasty with the addition of a bit of shredded coconut--or on top of chunks of fresh coconut... I don't like coconut though, so I didn't try it. But the flavors seemed like they would mingle well.

(Original recipe HERE)

No comments: