Tuesday, July 17, 2007

1/3 Cup Finally Gets Some Action, and Mystery Cup Gets a Bit Too Oversexed


So yesterday, right before leaving work, I happened upon this scone-recipe over at Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, and as soon as I saw that it called for turbinado sugar, I knew I was baking these scones as soon as I got home. Why, you ask? Because I've had this fricking bag of turbinado sugar sitting in my cupboard for like MONTHS because the crystals are SO DAMN BIG that I can never find recipes to use them in where it won't feel like you're biting into tiny Volkswagon Beetles everytime you take a bite of said recipe.

My 1/3 cup was super-fricking pleased as well, since he rarely gets used. For most every recipe, I reach around in my cupboard trying to find the correct measuring cups, and I inevitably pick up the 1/3 cup, and then he gets all geeked out and excited, thinking he's gonna get used finally, only to hang his head with disappointment when I return him to the cupboard because I was actually searching for 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup. Poor little 1/3 cup, rarely used in recipes, full of pent-up aggression and sexual desires. Poor poor little 1/3 cup. So imagine how happy he was yesterday when he finally got some action (the first time in months). Oh was he giddy. Giddy and joyous and giddily joyous. So 1/3 cup thanks you, oh Isa.

While 1/3 cup was getting some well-deserved action, one of my other cups was getting overly-sexed. The recipe says to scoop out your scones with 1/4 cup scoop-measurer, which (in the world of Lindy Loo) I thought I was doing. But once they were in the oven and I realized that they were the size of small children, it dawned on me that perhaps I hadn't grabbed the 1/4 cup to scoop with after all. What cup I grabbed will forever remain a mystery, but they yielded scones the size of someone's head (and the shape of Sloth's head from Goonies):



But man if they ain't tasty little giant-headed scones. (The only thing I substituted was semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of chocolate chunks, because I didn't have chocolate chunkiness on hand.) Yesterday, when I ate one hot from the oven, I was a bit disappointed because they didn't taste sweet enough for my sweet-tooth. But having sat overnight, their little flavors all a-mingling, they're FAN-FRICKING-TASTIC this morning, especially coupled with coffee--the perfect consistency, and the perfect delicate flavor. Rock on.


GINGER CHOCOLATE CHUNK SCONES

INGREDIENTS:

Dry

  • 3 c. flour

  • 2 T. baking powder

  • 1.5 T. ground ginger

  • 1/4 t. cinnamon

  • pinch allspice

Wet

  • 1/2 c. turbinado sugar, plus extra for sprinkling

  • 1/2 t. salt

  • 1/3 c. vegetable oil

  • 1 1/4 c. non-dairy milk

  • 1 t. pure vanilla extract


  • About 5 ounces chocolate (or 1/2+ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips)

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 450.

Mix together your dry ingredients.

Mix together your wet ingredients (minus the chocolate).

Add wet to dry and mix well. Fold in chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.

Line a cookie-sheet with parchment paper. Using a 1/4 c. (or a mystery-cup) scoop, scoop out a clump of dough and drop it on the sheet. Do so until you're out of dough. Sprinkle the scones with extra sugar.

Bake in oven for 15 minutes.

Remove. Let cool on pan for 5-10 minutes.

Remove and place on cooling rack.

(Makes about a dozen if you accidentally use the wrong-size scoop)

(Original recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)

No comments: