Monday, February 09, 2009

Philosophical Nostalgia!!

And also, only loosely related:

I just noticed that apparently they spell the word "Defense/Defence" differently for Pollan's In Defense of Food depending on where the book is being published (it looks like the DEFENCE version below is from an Australian run). Which just struck me as kind of funny because back when I was (double-)majoring in philosophy, one of my philosophy instructors docked points from an essay test of mine because I spelled some word or another (I can't even remember what word it was at this point) with its "British" spelling (as he declared it) instead of the American. And I was like, "Are you fucking kidding me?" and then commenced to spell the damn word with the British spelling in every essay thereafter, just for the principle of it.

Professor Donald Watts, if you're still out there somewhere and google your name (though I suspect you still don't quite understand how to use a computer): Defence! Realise! Grey! Analyse!

1 comment:

Krista said...

I love British spelling.