Thursday, February 19, 2009

Soup Epiphany: Black Bean Pumpkin Soup

                                       modified from Everybody Likes Sandwiches


I have been trying to figure out all week wtf this soup reminds me of and suddenly, two minutes ago,



it came to me!

ENCHILADA SAUCE!!!

Don't get me wrong: this is a very flavorful soup, and I think many of you out there will really enjoy it. It's just a bit too unsoupy for me.

And I kept wondering WHY, but it's precisely that: I feel like I'm eating a big bowl of enchilada sauce.

That being said: Hot motherf-ing damn would this make some mind-blowing enchilada sauce. In fact, I think next time I make enchiladas, this is gonna be slathered on top. It's only got a hint of pumpkin to it, but it's wonderfully yummy.

It also tastes really good with the beer bread I just posted.

Random question though:

When I was making this soup, I couldn't find my tablespoon, and only my 1/2-teaspoon was clean. So I was like, Well, there's 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon, so that means this recipe calls for 6 teaspoons. So I'll toss in 12 half-teaspoons, and that = one tablespoon.

Apparently not.

I carefully measured out 12 half-teaspoons into a little bowl, and by the end of my measuring, I was like, There is NO fucking way I'm adding THAT much cumin to this soup.

Then, after I grew curious about it, I hunted down my tablespoon and measured the "tablespoon's" worth of cumin I'd just dished out with my half-teaspoon: at least 2.5 T. of cumin was there.

Am I just a fucking idiot? Do I have some weird sort of malleable Harry Potter measuring spoons? Or is this common knowledge that you should always use as close to the size teaspoon/tablespoon as the recipe calls for because the little spoons don't actually measure up to the big ones?

Please, someone: enlighten me.



INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 T. olive oil

  • 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained (quantity was not specified--I used a large can, but I suspect that a small can was intended)

  • 1 large onion, chopped

  • 6 fat garlic cloves, minced

  • 2 T. cumin

  • 1 chipotle in adobo, diced*

  • salt & pepper

  • 4 c. veggie broth*

  • 1-1/2 c. pumpkin puree

  • 1 T. cider vinegar

DIRECTIONS

In a large pot, sautee the onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add the cumin and chipotle and the can of beans and mash with a potato masher. Dump in the pumpkin puree and the broth and bring to a simmering boil. Just before serving, add in the cider vinegar and season with salt and pepper.

(Recipe modified from Everybody Likes Sandwiches)

No comments: